Deciduous forests of the world
Starved rock state
The weather cycles in the deciduous forests changes from time to time. Weather can go from cold to dry with the coming of a new season. In autumn trees drop their leaves and remain bare throughout the winter. In spring, leaves once again grow from the trees. In the winter birds migrate south and animals hibernate.
All Deciduous forests are
located between coniferous forests and Tropical Regions. Deciduous forests are
The latitude range is anywhere from 23 degrees N and 38 degrees S. It has four seasons, spring, summer, autumn, and winter. Mild summers averaging about 70 degrees F. About 14 inches of rain in the winter months and 18 inches of rain in the summer.
Plantae = Daisies, Ferns, mosses, Oak Tree, and the Elm Tree
Protista = amoeba, and Paramecium
Fungi = Mushroom, and lichens
Monera = Bacteria
Animalia = red foxes, porcupine, wolf spiders, black bears, and mosquitoes, squirrel, Japanese beetle, hawk
Black Bear Mosses Bacteria Red Fox
Paramecium Daisies Oak Tree Mushroom
American Bald Eagle
Black Bear American Bald Eagle Red tailed Hawk
Red Fox Wolf Spider
Rabbit Red Squirrel Japanese Beetle
Daisies Fern Oak tree Lichens
1, What is the red squirrel eaten by?
2. The bald eagle eats the wolf spider which eats the ( )?
3. The Rabbit eats the daisies and the ( )?
4. The bald eagle and the ( ) are at the top of the food chain.
5. The Daisies are eaten by three of the animals which are they?
1. The bald eagle has extremely good vision it can see forward and to the side at the same time.
2. Its sharpness is at least four times that of a person with perfect vision.
3. Its beak is curved and sharp to help it rip its prey apart.
1. How many more times is the sharpness of the bald eagles vision than the humans?
2. Why is the Bald eagles beak curved and sharp?
3. When are the trees leaves at?
4. When the temperature gets cold the trees do what?
5. The Bald eagle has extremely good vision but can it see forward and to the side?
Gray Wolf = the gray wolf lives in the northern parts of the deciduous forest and travel in packs. The gray wolf was put on the endangered species list in 1988. They have been hunted or driven out of there homes by humans.
Deforestation = Trees are cut down for paper, which destroys the habitat for many animals, which puts them in risk of extinction
Symbiosis = symbiosis is the close relationship between to or more different species.
Mutualism both species benefit
Commensalism one benefits while the other is unaffected
Parasitism one benefits while the other is harmed
Competition neither benefit
Neutralism both are unaffected
An example of symbiosis in the deciduous forest is the plants and the animals. The tall tree serves as a home for birds. The canopy serves as protection from predators and the heavy winds. The tree also grows berries and seeds for the birds to eat. This is an example of commensalism because the animals benefit while the trees are unaffected.
1. What is the relationship between a shark and barnacles?
2. What is the relationship between woodpecker and an oak tree?
3. What is the relationship between tree and grass in the deciduous forest?
4. What is the relationship between frog and a spider?
5. What is the relationship between an American goldfinch and crested flycatcher?
Mrs. Jones 3rd Hour